Quantity: 8 cups
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 6 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups milk, half-and-half, or light cream
1. In a 4-1/2-quart Dutch oven combine cooking oil, flour, and butter or margarine. Cook and stir over medium heat until golden brown. Stir in fresh mushrooms, onion, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until onion is tender.
2. Combine beef broth and cornstarch; add to mushroom mixture along with milk, half-and-half, or light cream. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook 2 minutes more.
3. Divide into three 2-2/3-cup portions in freezer containers; seal, label, and freeze. Use as needed, thawing first.
4. Let one portion thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
To Thaw Sauce:
You can thaw frozen Browned Mushroom Sauce in any of three ways:
1. Transfer a portion to a microwave-safe bowl. Micro-cook, uncovered, on 30% power (medium-low) 8 to 12 minutes; stir once.
2. Place one freezer container of sauce in warm water for 1 hour.
3. Transfer one portion of frozen sauce to a heavy saucepan; heat, covered, over medium-low heat 15 minutes or until? thawed, stirring occasionally.