Solid Gold Squash Soup
It's a tasty way to get vitamin A. Winter squash, blessed with a velvety texture, a buttery taste, plus a good amount of dietary fiber, makes a nutrient-packed soup base. In addition the golden hue is a clue that this soup is packed with vitamin A, crucial to maintaining the body's cells. Make a meal of squash soup by serving it with corn muffins and a green salad.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 to 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 12-ounce pkgs. frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup apple juice or apple cider
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
2. Cook and stir for 2 minutes before adding the cooked winter squash, chicken broth, apple juice or cider, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Nutrition facts per serving: 142 cal., 3 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 1 mg chol., 353 mg sodium, 26 g carbo., 5 g fiber, and 5 g pro. Daily Values: 60% vit. A, 29% vit. C, 7% calcium, and 7% iron.