The perfect soup recipe for when you want and need an unwatched pot.
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1/2 cup dry split peas
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup sliced carrot
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, chopped (about 1 cup) or 1/4 cup chopped roasted red sweet pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped, unpeeled cucumber
1. Rinse and drain split peas and lentils. In a Dutch oven combine peas, lentils, broth, carrot, celery, red pepper, onion, bay leaf, cumin, and pepper. Bake, uncovered, in a 350-degree F oven about 2 hours or till the lentils and split peas are tender.
2. Remove bay leaf. Top each serving with yogurt and cucumber. Makes 4 main-dish servings.