This chili is low in calories (238) and fat (7 g total, 3 g sat.), yet full of flavor.Ingredients:
- 8 ounces ground turkey sausage
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon instant beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 28-ounce cans tomatoes, cut up
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup dry lentils
1. In a 6-quart Dutch oven or kettle, cook sausage until no longer pink. Remove sausage; drain fat. Add beef, onion, and green pepper to Dutch oven; cook until onion is tender but not brown. Stir in sausage, chili powder, bouillon granules, cumin, and oregano. Cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in undrained tomatoes and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 hour.
2. Rinse lentils. Stir into meat mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes more or until lentils are tender.
3. Ladle into bowls. If desired, garnish with shredded reduced-fat cheese. Makes 12 servings.
Make-ahead directions: Pour chili into 1-, 2-, or 4-serving-size freezer containers. Cover, label, and freeze up to 6 months. To reheat on range top, transfer to a saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat till heated through, stirring occasionally. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for one or two servings, 30 to 35 minutes for four servings. To reheat in microwave oven, transfer to a microwave-safe container. Cover and microwave on 100 percent power (high) till heated through, stirring twice. Allow 8 to 10 minutes for each serving.