- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 cup Ghirardelli® 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
- 1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons amaretto
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cake flour
1. For centers, in a saucepan, melt 1/3 cup of the Ghirardelli® 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips and cream over low heat. Remove from heat. Whisk gently to blend. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the amaretto. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm. Form into 6 balls; refrigerate until needed.
2. For cake, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray six 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In a double boiler, melt the remaining 2/3 cup Ghirardelli® 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips and butter over low heat. Remove from heat. Whisk gently to blend. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons amaretto; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs, egg yolks, and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and light. Fold melted chocolate mixture and flour into egg mixture just until combined. Spoon cake batter into prepared ramekins. Gently press a chocolate ball into center of cake batter in each ramekin.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until cake is firm to the touch. Let ramekins stand on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Run a small, sharp knife around inside of each ramekin. One at a time, place a small plate on top of each ramekin, invert, and remove ramekin.*
- If desired, top each cake with a dollop of whipped cream and chopped toasted** almonds.
- To toast almonds, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread almonds in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown, watching carefully and shaking once or twice.