- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 1 envelope Active Dry Yeast
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for brushing and drizzling
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Warm Water
- Cornmeal for sprinkling
- 1 package Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian Sausage or Links, casings removed
- 1/3 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese, cut into 1" slices
- 1/2 cup Gorgonzola Cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh herbs (optional), chopped
1. Prepare the dough: Whisk 1 cup warm water (about 105 degrees F) and the sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle the yeast over top. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in olive oil.
2. Whisk the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center, pour in the yeast mixture and stir to make a shaggy dough. Place dough on a floured surface and knead about 5 minutes, until smooth and elastic, adding just enough flour to prevent it from sticking. Form into a ball, place in a large oiled bowl, turning to coat with the oil. Turn seam-side down and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise at room temperature about 1 hour, 30 minutes, until doubled in size.
3. Position oven rack to top shelf, along with a pizza stone or baking sheet. Preheat to 450 degrees F.
4. Prepare sausage in a large skillet. Remove and drain the fat.
5. Sprinkle working surface and rolling pin with cornmeal to prevent sticking. Knead dough for a few seconds to begin shaping it into a ball. Using rolling pin, roll the dough out to a circle that is approximately 10" in diameter. Finish stretching using your hands. The dough should be thin. Remove baking sheet or pizza stone from the oven and sprinkle it with cornmeal. Carefully place the pizza dough on the stone or baking sheet and quickly sprinkle with Ricotta Cheese. Scatter the Mozzarella and Gorgonzola pieces, along with the sausage, and finally, top with Parmesan Cheese. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven, garnish with fresh herb, cut and enjoy!
6. *Always cook sausage to internal temperature of 160 degrees F