SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. For Rich Butter Pastry, in a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter cubes until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. of the water over part of the flour mixture; toss with form. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 Tbsp. of the water at a time, until all the flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, using hands to combine until it holds together. Divide pastry into two portions, one portion with 1/3 of the dough and one portion with 2/3 of the dough. Shape the smaller pieces of pastry into 5x1 1/2- inch round log. Shape the larger pieces of dough into a 7x2-inch round log. Wrap pastry with plastic wrap and freeze for 1 to 2 hours or until firm.
2. Meanwhile, for Strawberry Rhubarb Filling, in a large bowl stir together sugar, tapioca, ginger and salt. Add rhubarb and strawberries; gently toss until coated. Let rhubarb mixture stand for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (If using frozen rhubarb, let mixture stand 45 minutes.) Meanwhile, remove pastry from freezer and let stand 10-15 minutes or until easy to slice.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Using a sharp knife with a thin blade, cut teh chilled 7-inch dough log into 28 thin slices. Place 16 of the slices around the edge of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Place the remaining slices in the bottom of the pie plate. Using your fingers, press the pieces of the pastry together to fill in the gaps. Flute edges as desired.
4. Stir fruit mixture and transfer to the pastry-lined pie plate. Slice the remaining pastry into 15 to 18 slices. Place slices on top of fruit.
5. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Place a foil-lined baking sheet on the rack below the pie in oven. Bake for 60 minutes (75 minutes if using frozen fruit). Remove foil; bake 15 to 20 minutes more or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8 servings.