SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut off the top 1/2 inch of the garlic bulbs to expose ends of individual cloves. Leaving bulbs whole, remove any loose papery outer layers. Place bulbs, cut ends up, on a double thickness of foil. Drizzle bulbs with the 1 teaspoon olive oil. Bring foil edges up around bulbs and fold to enclose. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until garlic feels soft when squeezed. Let cool. Squeeze garlic from skins into a small bowl; mash with a fork.
2. In large saucepan cook leeks, fennel, and onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and caramelized, stirring occasionally. Add half of the roasted garlic, the broth, and 1 1/2 cans (2 2/3 cups) of the beans. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Place mixture in a food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until smooth. Return mixture to the saucepan.
3. Add remaining beans, half-and-half, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice to pureed mixture in saucepan. Cook over low heat until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly toasted, turning once. Spread toast with the remaining roasted garlic. Place a cheese slice on each toast slice. Broil until cheese melts and begins to brown.
5. In a large bowl whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Add escarole; toss to coat.
6. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with baguette toasts and escarole.