SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour a 9-inch springform pan that has a removable bottom or two 8x1 1/2-inch round cake pans. Prepare batter for Classic White Cake as directed, except divide batter among six bowls. Tint each bowl of batter a different color using food colorings.
2. For springform pan, spoon red batter into center of pan. Spoon orange batter into center of red batter, allowing red batter to spread out. Spoon yellow batter over orange batter and so on with the green, blue, and purple batters. Gently shake pan back and forth until batters are evenly spread in pan. Bake about 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove sides of pan; invert cake onto another wire rack, remove bottom of pan, and cool cake completely. (For 8-inch round cake pans, add red, orange, and yellow batters to one pan and add green, blue, and purple batters to second pan as directed above. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.)
3. Frost the top and sides of springform cake with Creamy White Frosting (if using cake layers, spread frosting between layers before frosting top and sides of cake).
4. Sprinkle wedge-shape sections on top and sides of cake with different colors of jimmies, pressing them onto the sides with a spoon.**
1. In a large mixing bowl beat shortening, vanilla, and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Add 2 tablespoons of the milk. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar. Gradually add milk until frosting reaches a spreading consistency. Makes about 3 cups.
1. Allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and lightly flour two 9x1-1/2-inch or 8x1-1/2-inch round cake pans or grease one 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set pan(s) aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Spread batter in prepared pan(s).
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes for 9-inch pans or 30 to 35 minutes for 8-inch pans or 13x9x2-inch pan, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center(s) comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans. Cool thoroughly on racks. Or place the 13x9x2-inch cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly. Frost with desired frosting