SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Place cake vertically on a large flat serving platter or tray. For body of owl, use a serrated knife to make rounded cuts to remove the two corners at bottom of cake. For head, trim a small crescent shape from the top of cake. For wings, cut the trimmed crescent shape in half horizontally. Place crescent shapes, flat sides out, on top of cake at a slight angle.
2. Tint Butter Frosting yellow; set aside. Spread the entire head and wings of the owl with Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting, leaving a wedge-shape area on the body unfrosted. Spread the entire unfrosted wedge-shape area with the yellow frosting. Insert rows of almond slices into the yellow frosting for feathers.
3. Place doughnuts on cake for eyes. Attach malted milk balls to centers of doughnuts using yellow frosting. Shape one of the orange chewy squares into a beak and insert into frosting between the eyes. Shape the remaining two orange chewy squares into four claws and insert into frosting at bottom edge of owl. If desired, shape the pink chewy square into a bow and add to head for a girl owl.
1. In a large saucepan melt chocolate pieces and butter over low heat, stirring frequently. Cool for 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth. This frosts tops and sides of two 8- or 9-inch cake layers.
1. In an extra-large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in enough additional milk to reach spreading consistency. If desired, tint with food coloring. This frosts tops and sides of two 8- or 9-inch cake layers. (Halve the recipe to frost a 13x9-inch cake or 10-inch fluted tube cake.)