SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and baking powder. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and cherry extract until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.
2. Divide dough in half. Stir red cherries into one dough portion; tint with red food coloring. Stir green cherries into remaining dough portion; tint with green food coloring. Divide each portion in half. Cover and chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
3. Between 2 pieces of waxed paper, roll one red dough portion into a 10x5-inch rectangle. Between 2 pieces of waxed paper, roll one green dough portion into a 10x5-inch rectangle. Remove the top layer of waxed paper from each rectangle. Invert the green rectangle on top of the red rectangle; remove top layer of waxed paper. Starting from a long side, roll up dough. Pinch dough edges to seal. Roll in half of the nonpareils and wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining dough portions and nonpareils. Chill dough rolls for 1 to 2 hours or until very firm.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets; set aside. Unwrap dough rolls; reshape, if necessary. Cut dough rolls crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place slices 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Push a craft stick into each slice, pressing dough around stick.
5. Bake about 10 minutes or until edges are firm and tops are set. Cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.