SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface roll pastry into a 12-inch circle. Ease pastry circle into a 9-inch pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond outside edge of pie plate.* Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 15 minutes; remove foil.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt, cloves, and, if desired, orange peel. Add eggs; beat lightly with a fork until combined. Gradually add half-and-half, stirring just until combined.
3. Place pastry shell on oven rack. Carefully pour pumpkin mixture into pastry shell. Cover edge of pie loosely with foil. Bake for 20 minutes; remove foil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill within 2 hours. If desired, serve with whipped cream.
1. In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea size.
2. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the flour mixture; toss with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together.
3. On a lightly floured surface use your hands to slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
4. Wrap pastry circle around the rolling pin. Unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it.
5. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry even with the plate's edge. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry. Fill and bake as directed in recipes.