SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Line three large cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together almonds and powdered sugar; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine egg whites, vanilla, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Gradually add granulated sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed just until soft peaks form (tips curl). Stir in almond mixture and lemon peel.
3. Using a large pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip, pipe mixture into 2-inch flat circles onto prepared cookie sheets, leaving 1 inch between circles. Let stand for 30 minutes before baking.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake, one sheet at a time, for 9 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool on cookie sheet on a wire rack. Carefully peel cookies off parchment paper.
5. Spread Cranberry-Mascarpone Filling on bottoms of half of the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies, bottom sides down.
1. In a medium mixing bowl beat mascarpone cheese, butter, and honey with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well. Stir in dried cranberries and lemon peel. Stir in enough food coloring to tint the filling pink. Stir in enough lemon juice to reach spreading consistency.