SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. In a large nonstick skillet cook sausage over medium-high heat until it starts to brown. Stir in apricots and crushed red pepper. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in cilantro and honey. Remove from heat; cool.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine 1 cup of the flour, the yeast, and salt. Add the 2/3 cup warm water, the two eggs, and the oil. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in sausage mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
4. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into three portions. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
5. Gently roll each dough portion into a 16-inch-long rope. Place the ropes 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet; braid. Cover. (To serve today, let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size [about 40 minutes]. Omit Step 6 and continue as directed in Step 7.)
6. Chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl combine the one egg and the 1 teaspoon water; brush over braid. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.