SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Draw 1-1/2-inch circles about 1-1/2 inches apart on the parchment paper. Turn paper over; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl stir together the almonds and powdered sugar. In a large mixing bowl combine egg whites, vanilla, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Gradually add the granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gently stir in food coloring. Fold in nut mixture.
3. Transfer egg white mixture to a large pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip. Pipe 1-1/2-inch flat circles into outlines on the prepared cookie sheets. Let stand for 30 minutes before baking (cookies should feel dry to the touch).
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake for 11 to 12 minutes or until set. Transfer cookies on parchment paper to a wire rack and let cool. Carefully peel cooled cookies off parchment paper.
5. Spread Cherry Buttercream Filling on flat sides (bottoms) of half of the cooled cookies. Gently press the flat sides of the remaining cookies against the filing.
1. In a medium bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup powdered sugar, kirsch, and almond extract; beat until combined. Beat in 1 cup additional powdered sugar. If necessary, beat in 2 to 3 teaspoons additional kirsch to make a spreading consistency. Stir in maraschino cherries.