SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. In a blender or food processor combine cherries and orange peel. Blend or process until smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve; discard pulp and peel. Measure 1 1/2 cups of the cherry liquid; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine sugar and egg yolks; beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 4 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a large saucepan combine milk, coconut milk, cream, and salt; heat just until simmering. Remove from heat; let stand for 2 minutes.
4. Slowly stir 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Return all of the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Heat and stir for 5 to 6 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats the back of a metal spoon (185 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer). Be careful not to let mixture boil. Place saucepan in a bowl of ice water; stir constantly for 2 to 3 minutes or until cool.
5. In a large bowl combine cherry liquid* and egg yolk-milk mixture, stirring until well mixed. Cover surface of the mixture with plastic wrap. Chill about 4 hours or until well chilled.
6. Freeze mixture in a 2- to 4-quart ice cream freezer according to the manufacturers directions. If desired, ripen gelato mixture for 4 hours before serving.**