SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. In a very large skillet cook sausage, onions, and garlic over medium-high heat until sausage is brown and onions are tender, using a wooden spoon to break up sausage as it cooks. Do not drain. Sprinkle the 1/4 cup flour over sausage mixture; stir flour into the sausage mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. While stirring, gradually add the 3 cups milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in fennel seeds, sage, and pepper. Transfer mixture to a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 2 to 3 hours.
3. For dumplings, turn slow cooker to high-heat setting. In a medium bowl combine the 3/4 cup flour, the cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl combine the egg, the 1/3 cup milk, and the butter. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir with a fork until moistened. Make 8 dumplings by using two spoons to drop dough directly on top of sausage gravy in slow cooker.
4. Cover and cook for 25 to 30 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean. (Do not lift cover during cooking.) If desired, sprinkle tops of dumplings with parsley.
5. If desired, keep gravy and dumplings warm, uncovered, on warm setting or low-heat setting for up to 1 hour.