SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Rinse beans. In a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven combine beans and 8 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.
2. Return beans to Dutch oven. Stir in 8 cups fresh water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Drain beans, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the liquid.
3. In the same Dutch oven cook onion and 4 ounces bacon over medium heat until bacon is slightly crisp and onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add brown sugar; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in beans, the reserved bean liquid, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Transfer bean mixture to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.Tailgate day::
4. Transfer bean mixture to a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with a car adapter. Cover and reheat on high-heat setting for 2 to 3 hours or until heated through and slightly thickened.
5. Tightly cover slow cooker and tote in an insulated carrier. If desired, tote the additional cooked bacon in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
6. At the tailgating site, plug slow cooker into car adapter and keep beans warm on warm-heat setting. (Beans will keep warm, covered, on warm-heat setting for up to 3 hours.) Top with the additional cooked bacon.