SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. For cheese sauce, in a small saucepan whisk together milk and flour to blend. Heat and stir over medium-high heat to bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened. Stir in cheese and 1/4 tsp. salt untl cheese is melted. Simmer about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until sauce is velvety and thick. Remove from heat. Cover surface with foil to keep warm and to prevent a skin from forming on top.
2. In a large nonstick skillet heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef with 1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper. Add to skillet and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, just until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate; cover with foil to keep warm.
3. In the same skillet cook onion and sweet peppers in 1 Tbsp. hot oil over medium-high heat for 12 to 14 minutes, until edges are browned and onion is tender. Season with 1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper.
4. Lightly toast split rolls. Evenly divide the onion-pepper mixture, meat, and cheese sauce among roll halves.TIP:
5. To make slicing the beef easier, freeze it for 45 to 60 minutes before slicing.Make it vegetarian:
6. Use 1 large sliced portobello mushroom per sandwich in place of the beef. Saute as directed for the beef.For big appetites:
7. Serve sandwiches with both roll bottoms and tops.
8. Comfort Food Fix by Ellie Krieger (Wiley, 2011)