SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. One day before making dressing, prepare Corn Bread recipe. Break corn bread in large pieces, spread on a tray, and let stand (uncovered) overnight to dry. (If unable to prepare corn bread the day before, spread pieces on a baking sheet and dry in a 200 degrees F oven for 30 minutes.)
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large skillet over low heat, melt 5 tablespoons of the butter. Add chopped celery, onion, salt, and pepper. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often, until vegetables are very tender and translucent, but not brown. (This step is essential in developing the flavor of the dish). Stir in crumbled sage; set aside to cool.
3. Crumble the dried cornbread in a large mixing bowl. (For fine texture dressing, crumble corn bread finely; for a rustic version, crumble larger pieces.)
4. Stir the celery and onion mixture into crumbled corn bread; stir in eggs. Stir in 3 cups of the broth. Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter; stir in along with remaining broth. Mix well, adding more broth, if needed, to reach a soupy, pourable consistency.
5. Pour dressing mixture into a butter 3-quart baking dish. Bake on a center oven rack for 40 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees F; bake 5 minutes longer, rotating dish if needed, until dressing is browned. Remove from oven to rack. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a 9-inch cast-iron skillet or 9-inch cake pan, melt butter for 2 to 4 minutes, until sizzling hot. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine cornmeal, kosher salt, and baking soda. In a medium bowl whisk together buttermilk and eggs. Whisk buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture until smooth and batter has a sheen; batter will be thin. Whisk hot butter from skillet into batter. Pour batter into hot skillet. Bake corn bread 25 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool in skillet for 10 minutes, loosen thoroughly, then remove from skillet.