medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 2-1/2 pounds total)
prosciutto or 4 pieces Canadian-style bacon, halved
cooked long grain white and wild rice blend* or cooked white rice
sliced green onions (8)
ground black pepper
coarsely chopped fresh asparagus (about 12 spears) or chopped fresh broccoli
grated Parmesan cheese
dry sherry, white wine, or milk
panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
dried Italian seasoning, crushed
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. With a small sharp knife, make a 2-inch-wide horizontal slit in the side of each chicken breast to create a deep pocket. Stuff each pocket with 1 piece of the prosciutto or half of a piece of the Canadian bacon, folding or cutting as needed to fit.
Spread rice in an ungreased 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Top with chicken. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add green onions; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Whisk in flour and pepper until well mixed. Add milk all at once, whisking to combine. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Stir in asparagus, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, and the sherry. In a small bowl combine the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, the panko, and Italian seasoning.
Pour sauce over chicken; sprinkle with crumb mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F).
From the Test Kitchen
- If cooking packaged long grain and wild rice blend, do not use the seasoning packet.
- Prepare as directed. Cover and chill for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw casserole in refrigerator for 48 hours, if frozen. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cover baking dish with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake about 30 minutes more or until heated through.
(Prosciutto-Stuffed Chicken Bake)
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 547,
- Fat, total (g) 17,
- chol. (mg) 109,
- sat. fat (g) 6,
- carb. (g) 45,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 3,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1,
- fiber (g) 2,
- sugar (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 47,
- vit. A (IU) 632,
- vit. C (mg) 6,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 13,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1,
- Folate (µg) 32,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1,
- sodium (mg) 899,
- Potassium (mg) 532,
- calcium (mg) 222,
- iron (mg) 3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet