SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pepper, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
2. In a small bowl beat eggs lightly; stir in cheese and buttermilk. Add the buttermilk mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened. Fold in pear.
3. Turn out dough onto a floured surface. Quickly knead dough by folding and gently pressing for 10 to 12 strokes or until nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll the dough into an 8-inch square. Cut into 16 squares.
4. Place scones 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. If desired, sprinkle with additional cracked pepper. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer scones to a wire rack. Serve warm. If desired, serve with Pear Conserve.
1. In a large saucepan combine pears, the water, and lemon juice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar and golden raisins. Return to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in nuts (if desired) and ground mace or cinnamon. Cool slightly. Ladle into an airtight storage container. Cover; seal.