SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Separate eggs; allow egg yolks and egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Line bottom of pan with waxed paper or parchment paper; grease and flour paper. Set pan aside. In a small bowl stir together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, allspice, and salt; set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine egg yolks and brown sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed about 3 minutes or until thick and light-color. Stir in melted butter and molasses. Fold in flour mixture.
3. Thoroughly wash beaters. In a medium bowl beat egg whites on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold one-third of the beaten egg whites into egg yolk mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining beaten egg whites. Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
4. Bake about 12 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Meanwhile, place a clean kitchen towel on a work surface. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan and turn cake out onto towel. Remove waxed paper. Starting from a long side, roll towel and cake into a spiral. Cool, seam side down, on a wire rack.
5. Unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cake with creme fraiche to within 1 inch of the edges. Spoon dulce de leche in mounds on top of creme fraiche; gently swirl together with a knife or narrow metal spatula. Sprinkle with crystallized ginger. Roll up cake; trim ends. Cover and chill for 2 to 48 hours.
6. To serve, lightly sprinkle cake with additional powdered sugar and, if desired, garnish with lemon slices. Using a serrated knife, cut into slices. Serve with Lemon Sauce.
1. In a small saucepan stir together sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the water, lemon peel, and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Gradually stir some of the hot lemon mixture into egg yolks. Return egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in butter until melted. Stir in half-and-half. Serve warm.