SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottoms of two 8x1 1/2-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with parchment paper or waxed paper; grease and lightly flour pans. Set pans aside.
2. In a large bowl stir together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Add the water, oil, milk, and vanilla. Beat with a wire whisk until smooth.
3. In a medium bowl combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold beaten egg whites into batter. Pour batter into prepared pans, spreading evenly.
4. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on racks.
5. To assemble, use a long serrated knife to cut cake layers in half horizontally. Place one cake layer, cut side down, on a serving plate. Spread with a generous 3/4 cup of the Butter Cream Frosting and 1/4 cup of the jam. Top with 1 cup of the sliced berries. Repeat with two more cake layers.
6. For top layer, place final cake layer cut side down and spread with 3/4 cup Butter Frosting, 1/4 cup jam, and top with 1 cup whole berries.
1. Beat margarine or butter and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar alternately with milk beating well after each addition. Beat in additional milk, if necessary, to make of spreading consistency.