SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Separate eggs. Allow egg yolks, egg whites, and butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line fifteen 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. In a small bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl whisk together milk and the 1/4 cup lemon curd until nearly smooth. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 3/4 cup granulated sugar. Beat on medium to high speed for 1 minute. Add egg yolks and vanilla; beat until combined. Alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out batter in cups.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and tops spring back when lightly touched.
5. Meanwhile, place the 2 tablespoons lemon curd in a heavy resealable plastic bag. Snip a small piece from one corner; set aside. Wash beaters thoroughly. For meringue, in a clean large mixing bowl combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat with the mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 2/3 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
6. Remove cupcakes from oven. Pipe a small amount of the 2 tablespoons lemon curd onto the center of each cupcake. Pipe* or spoon meringue onto tops of cupcakes.
7. Bake for 7 minutes more or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool for 30 to 45 minutes before serving or cover loosely and chill in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours. Dust with powdered sugar before serving. Makes 15 (2-1/2 -inch) cupcakes.