SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Prepare and roll out Pastry for Double-Crust Pie or let refrigerated pie crusts stand at room temperature according to package directions. Line a 9-inch pie plate with a pastry circle; trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Roll out remaining pastry and cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. For filling, drain cherries, reserving the liquid from 1 of the cans (discard liquid from the other can). In a medium saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Gradually stir in reserved cherry liquid. Cook and stir over medium-high heat just until bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in cherries, butter, and almond extract.
3. Transfer filling to the pastry-lined pie plate. Weave pastry strips in a lattice pattern. Press ends of strips into bottom pastry rim. Fold bottom pastry over strip ends; seal and crimp edge.
4. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until filling is bubbly and pastry is golden. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8 servings.
1. In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon water at a time until all the flour mixture is moistened (about 8 to 10 tablespoons total). Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten 1 dough ball. Roll dough from center to edges into a 12-inch circle. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry even with the rim of the pie plate. Fill pie and continue as directed.