SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. In a very large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet and drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon; set aside. Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings from skillet. Cook green onions in hot drippings until tender; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg; set aside.
3. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in crumbled bacon, green onions, and cheese. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the buttermilk mixture. Add remaining buttermilk mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until mixture is moistened.
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or just until dough holds together. Roll out dough evenly to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 2- to 2-1/2-inch round cutter, cut rounds from the dough. Place rounds, nearly touching, on prepared baking sheet. Brush rounds with reserved 2 tablespoons buttermilk mixture.
5. Bake about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer scones to wire racks; cool completely. Include serving instructions with gift (below).