SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Remove giblets from chicken, if present. Place chicken in plastic bag set in shallow dish. Slice 2 of the lemons; add to bag. Finely shred 2 teaspoons peel from remaining lemons; set aside. Squeeze lemons to yield 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons juice for glaze.
2. For marinade, in bowl combine the 1/2 cup lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the cayenne pepper and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Pour marinade over chicken; turn to coat. Seal bag. Refrigerate 8 to 12 hours; turn occasionally.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Let chicken stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Drain chicken and set aside lemon slices; discard marinade. Pull neck skin to back and fasten with a skewer. Tie drumsticks to tail. Twist wing tips under back.
4. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Cover with lemon slices. Arrange lemon halves or quarters on rack around chicken. Roast on lowest rack, uncovered, for 1 hour.
5. Meanwhile, in small saucepan combine honey, the shredded lemon peel, the 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
6. Cut string between drumsticks and reposition any lemon slices that have slid off of chicken. Continue roasting 30 to 60 minutes more, or until drumsticks move easily in their sockets and chicken is no longer pink (180 degrees F), occasionally brushing with some of the honey mixture during the last 20 minutes of roasting. If lemons begin to darken, tent loosely with foil. Remove chicken from oven. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Pass remaining honey glaze.