SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large saucepan combine dried apples and cider or juice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes (juices will be slightly thickened).
2. Meanwhile, prepare Apple Pie Pastry. Roll two-thirds of the pastry to a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Add prepared apple filling, spreading evenly. Dot with butter.
3. Cover edge of pie with foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until pastry is golden brown and apple edges begin to brown. Cool on a wire rack.
4. Roll remaining pastry into an oval about 6x4 inches. Cut into 1/4-inch-wide slivers. Place on a baking sheet; bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned; cool. Scatter slivers over pie before serving. Makes 8 servings.
1. In a medium bowl combine flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas. Using a total of 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water, sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat until all is moistened. Form into a ball.