SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Prepare Pickled Onions.
2. In a medium saucepan, cook 1/2 cup of the onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in cracked wheat and water. Bring mixture to a boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in soy sauce.
3. In a food processor combine beans, walnuts, remaining 1/2 cup onion, cilantro, garlic, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Cover and process with several on-off turns until is combined and paste-like. Stir walnut mixture and bread crumbs into wheat mixture. Stir until combined.
4. Shape mixture into six 3/4-inch thick patties. Cover and chill for 1-1/2 hours.
5. Brush both sides of patties with 2 tablespoons olive oil. For a charcoal grill, grill patties on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 8 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties on grill rack over heat. Cover; grill as above.)
6. Serve patties open-face on toasted bagel tops; spoon Lime Slather over patties. With a slotted spoon, remove Pickled Onions from marinade. Place atop Lime Slather. Makes 6 servings.
1. In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, lime peel, and lime juice.
1. In a small bowl combine onion, lime juice, vinegar, salt, and ground black pepper. Cover and chill 2 hours.