SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until well combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in remaining flour.
2. Divide dough in half. Into one half, stir in the cocoa powder and grated chocolate until combined; set aside. Into the second dough, stir in the mint extract and enough green paste food coloring to tint the dough green.
3. Shape each portion of dough into a 7x2x2-inch brick. Wrap bricks in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill at least 2 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice. With a long sharp knife, cut each brick lengthwise into four slices. (You will have four pieces from each color of dough that are each 7 inches long and 2 inches wide.)
4. Stack four pieces of dough together, alternating colors. (You will have two bricks, each with four layers.) Gently press together dough to seal layers. If necessary, wrap bricks in plastic wrap or waxed paper and chill for 30 minutes or until dough is firm enough to slice.
5. Using a long sharp knife, cut each log lengthwise into four slices (Each piece will have four layers in alternating colors.) Stack four pieces of dough together, alternating colors, for a checkerboard effect. Trim edges as needed to straighten sides and ends. If necessary, wrap logs in plastic wrap or waxed paper and chill for 30 minutes or until firm enough to slice.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using a sharp knife, cut logs crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place slices, cut sides down, 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are just firm. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool. Makes about 50 cookies.