SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl, combine egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently stir in lemon peel.
2. Transfer meringue mixture to a decorating bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip. Pipe 1-1/2-inch meringues 1 inch apart onto prepared cookie sheets.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until meringues appear dry and are firm when lightly touched. Do not open the oven during baking time. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool.
4. Just before serving, spread about 1 teaspoon Lemon Frosting on the bottoms of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat sides down. Filled meringues can sit at room temperature for 2 hours before serving. Makes about 36 sandwich cookies.
1. In a medium bowl, combine butter and lemon peel. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until blended. Add lemon juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, until frosting reaches desired consistency. Makes about 1 cup.