SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a large cookie sheet; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the 3/4 cup granulated sugar and the eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until thick and pale yellow, scraping side of bowl frequently. Add olive oil, orange peel, orange juice, and vanilla, beating on low speed until combined.
2. In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups of the flour, the baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture, beating on low speed until combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in dried cherries and the remaining 1/2 cup flour (if necessary, knead in the last of the flour).
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Using lightly floured hands, shape each portion into an 8-inch-long loaf. Place loaves 3 to 4 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet; flatten loaves slightly until about 2 inches wide.
4. In a small bowl, combine egg white and the water; beat with a fork until frothy. Brush over tops and sides of loaves. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown and firm to the touch. Cool on cookie sheet on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
5. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F. Transfer baked loaves to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place slices on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 minutes. Turn slices over; bake for 8 to 9 minutes more or until dry and crisp. Transfer cookies to wire racks; let cool. Makes about 30 cookies.