SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9- or 9-1/2-inch fluted square or an 11x7-inch fluted rectangular tart pan that has a removable bottom; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine finely ground almonds, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add eggs, stirring until mixture comes together. Form into a ball. Divide dough in half.
3. Press half of the dough onto the bottom and up the sides of the prepared tart pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
4. Meanwhile, roll the remaining dough between sheets of waxed paper into a 13x10-inch oval. Transfer to a baking sheet; freeze for 10 minutes.
5. Spread preserves evenly over hot crust. Remove top sheet of waxed paper from chilled dough. Using a fluted pastry wheel or pizza cutter, cut dough crosswise into 3/4- to 1-inch-wide strips. Arrange on top of preserves in a lattice design, leaving about 3/4-inch space between each strip. (You may not use all of the dough.)
6. In a small bowl, combine egg yolk and water; brush some of the mixture on lattice strips. Place tart on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Brush strips with the remaining egg yolk mixture and sprinkle with sliced almonds. Bake about 15 minutes more or until top is golden brown.
7. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Using a small sharp knife, gently loosen edge of crust from side of pan; cool completely. Remove side of pan. Makes 16 servings.