SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Let eggs and butter stand at room temperature 30 minutes. In small bowl combine dates and boiling water to cover. Let stand 15 minutes; drain and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. In bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices; set aside.
3. In 4-quart bowl beat butter on medium to high speed 30 seconds. Beat in sugars and vanilla until combined. Add eggs one at a time, beating 1 minute after each. In bowl stir together half-and-half and molasses. Alternately add flour mixture and molasses mixture to egg mixture; beat on low after each until combined (may appear curdled). Stir in dates. Spread batter in prepared pans.
4. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
5. Prepare Sour Cream Frosting. Place one layer flat side up on plate; spread 2/3 cup frosting. Stack second layer flat side up; spread remaining frosting. Cover and refrigerate. Serve with ice cream lightly dusted with cinnamon or nutmeg. Makes 12 servings.
1. Beat together sour cream, whipping cream, powdered sugar, and almond extract on medium until thick and nearly holds stiff peaks. Makes about 3 cups.