1 - 2
instant chicken bouillon granules (optional)
recipe Mock Hollandaise Sauce*
English muffins, split
Cracked black pepper (optional)
If desired, lightly grease a 10-inch saute pan or skillet with cooking oil or shortening. Half-fill the skillet with water. If desired, stir in bouillon granules. Bring the water to boiling; reduce heat to simmering (bubbles should begin to break the surface of the water). Break one of the eggs into a small dish or a measuring cup with a handle. Carefully slide egg into the simmering water, holding the lip of the cup as close to the water as possible. Add remaining eggs, one at a time.
Simmer eggs, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until the whites are completely set and the yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and place them in a large pan of warm water to keep them warm. Prepare Mock Hollandaise Sauce.
Place muffin halves, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat about 2 minutes or until toasted. Top muffin halves with Canadian-style bacon. Broil about 1 minute more or until bacon is heated.
To serve, top each bacon-topped muffin half with an egg. Spoon Mock Hollandaise Sauce over eggs. If desired, sprinkle with pepper. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
- Prepare Poached Eggs and toast English muffins as above. Place muffin halves in a greased 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Top each muffin half with a slice of Canadian-style bacon and 1 cooked egg. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. To serve, prepare the Mock Hollandaise Sauce; spoon hot sauce over eggs. Bake, covered, in a 350F oven about 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Prepare as above, except before poaching eggs, cook four, 3-1/2- to 4-inch-diameter stemmed portobello mushroom caps in 1 tablespoon hot olive oil about 6 minutes, or until tender, turning once. Remove from skillet; blot with a paper towel. Slice mushrooms; sprinkle with salt and ground black pepper. Cover with foil to keep warm. Continue as directed, except substitute the mushrooms for the Canadian-style bacon. Sprinkle with chopped tomato.
- Prepare as above, except spread 1 tablespoon softened tub-style cream cheese spread with herbs on each toasted English muffin half. Substitute 4 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon (lox-style) for the Canadian-style bacon. If desired, stir 1/2 teaspoon dried dill into the Mock Hollandaise Sauce. If desired, sprinkle with additional dill.
- Prepare as above, except substitute 4 slices marble rye or rye bread for the English muffins and thinly sliced corned beef for the Canadian-style bacon. Divide 1/2 cup rinsed and drained sauerkraut evenly over the corned beef. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese.
dairy sour cream
mayonnaise or salad dressing
In a 1- to 1-1/2-quart saucepan combine dairy sour cream, mayonnaise or salad dressing, lemon juice, and yellow mustard. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until warm. If desired, stir in a little milk to thin.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 352,
- Fat, total (g) 25,
- chol. (mg) 239,
- sat. fat (g) 7,
- carb. (g) 15,
- fiber (g) 1,
- pro. (g) 15,
- sodium (mg) 723,
- calcium (mg) 61,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet