SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. In a large bowl, stir together granulated sugar and cornstarch. Add cherries; gently toss until coated. Let mixture stand about 15 minutes or until a syrup forms, stirring occasionally. (If using frozen cherries, let cherry mixture stand about 45 minutes or until fruit is partially thawed but still icy.)
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Whole Wheat Pastry dough. Set aside one-fourth of the dough. Divide remaining dough into five portions. On lightly floured surface, roll each portion to a 6-1/2 inch circle. Line five 4-inch tart pans with pastry. Trim to just beyond edge of each pan. Crimp as desired. Set aside.
3. Roll the reserved dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Using a 2- to 3-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut the rolled out dough into heart shapes. Using a smaller heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut another heart from the center of each heart cutout.
4. Stir cherry mixture; transfer to pastry-lined tart pans. Place the heart shapes on filling. If desired, brush pastry with milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
5. Place tarts on a baking sheet. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes (60 to 70 minutes if used frozen fruit) or until filling is bubbly in centers and pastry is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 5 tarts (10 servings).
1. In a medium bowl, stir together unbleached all-purpose flour,whole wheat flour, salt, and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all of the dough is moistened (6 to 8 tablespoons cold water total). Form dough into a ball.