SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl, stir together the 1 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size.
2. Stir in cheese. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the cold water over part of the cheese mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the cold water at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
3. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough ball into a disk. Roll disk from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry circle. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry and flute or crimp edge. Do not prick pastry. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine apples, sugar, the 2 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spoon into dough-lined pie plate.
5. Sprinkle Cheddar Crunch Topping over filling. To prevent overbrowning, cover pie edge with foil. Bake pie for 40 minutes. Remove foil. Bake about 20 minutes more or until top is golden brown and fruit is tender. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8 servings.
1. In a medium bowl, stir together sugar, flour, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Gently stir in cheese.