SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten Hazelnut Pastry to a disk. Roll disk from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Pastry will be tender. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin and ease it into a 9-inch springform pan. Fit pastry into the pan and up the side. Press together any tears with your fingers, and pat into place. Trim pastry even with top edge of pan. Do not prick pastry. Set aside.
2. For filling, in a very large bowl combine sugar, flour, orange peel, and salt. Add apples and cranberries. Toss to coat. Mound mixture into the pastry-lined springform pan (pan will be full). Dot with butter. Carefully sprinkle with Hazelnut-Pine Nut Streusel.
3. Place springform pan in a shallow baking pan. To prevent overbrowning, cover with foil. Bake pie for 1-1/4 hours. Remove foil. Bake for 15 to 30 minutes more or until fruit is tender and filling is bubbly. Cool in springform pan on a wire rack. Run a thin spatula or knife around the edge of the crust. Remove side of springform pan; cut pie into wedges. If desired, serve with ice cream. Makes 12 servings.
1. In a small bowl, stir together flour and brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in hazelnuts and pine nuts.
1. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, ground hazelnuts, brown sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon water at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Form dough into a ball.