SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour one 3x2-inch, one 5x2-inch, and one 7x2-inch round cake pan. (Or grease and lightly flour an 8x8x2-inch baking pan.) Set aside. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and cloves; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar; beat until well mixed. Beat in egg until fluffy. Beat in molasses on low speed. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Pour 1/3 cup of the batter into the 3-inch pan, 1 cup of the batter into the 5-inch pan, and the remaining batter into the 7-inch pan. (Or spread all of the batter into the 8x8x2-inch pan.)
3. Bake the round pans for 20 to 30 minutes (30 to 35 minutes for square pan) or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. (Baked cakes may dip slightly in center.) Cool in pan(s) on wire rack(s) for 10 minutes. Remove from pan(s); cool completely on rack.
4. To assemble the three-layer cake, place the 7-inch layer, top side down, on a serving plate. Spoon about one-third of the Chocolate-Molasses Glaze over this layer, allowing it to flow down the side. Top with the 5-inch layer, top side down, spooning another one-third of the glaze over the stacked layers. Top with the 3-inch layer, top side down, spooning the remaining glaze over all. Spoon all of the glaze over a square cake. Makes 8 to 10 servings.Chocolate-Molasses Glaze::
5. In a small saucepan melt together 2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate and 1 tablespoon butter over low heat. Remove from heat; stir in 2/3 cup sifted powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon sorghum or molasses, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually add 1 to 2 tablespoons hot water, beating with a wire whisk until glaze is smooth and of thin spreading consistency.