SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. In a small bowl combine brown sugar, paprika, salt, dry mustard, pepper, thyme, and garlic powder. Discard about half of the beer from the can. Add 1 teaspoon of the spice mixture to the half-empty can (beer will foam up).
2. Rinse chicken body cavity; pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the spice mixture inside cavity. Add melted butter to the remaining spice mixture in bowl; mix well.
3. Hold the chicken upright with the opening of the body cavity at the bottom; lower it onto the beer can so the can fits into the cavity. Pull the chicken legs forward so the bird rests on its legs and the can. Twist wing tips behind back. Stuff the one lemon wedge into neck cavity to seal in steam. Brush butter mixture over outside of chicken.
4. For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Stand chicken upright on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F in thigh muscle). If necessary, tent chicken with foil to prevent overbrowning. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. If necessary, remove upper grill racks so chicken will stand upright. Grill as above.)
5. Remove chicken from grill, holding by the can. Cover with foil; let stand for 10 minutes. Use a hot pad to grasp can and heavy tongs to carefully remove the chicken. If desired, serve with additional lemon wedges. Makes 4 servings.