SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 300 degree F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with foil or parchment paper.
2. Meanwhile, place almonds and the 2 tablespoons sugar in a food processor. Cover and process until almonds are finely ground (you should have about 1-1/3 cups). (Or, if you have a coffee grinder or nut grinder, work in small batches to grind the nuts and sugar.)
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine egg whites, almond extract, and salt. Beat on medium speed of an electric mixer until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks from (tips stand straight). Fold in almond mixture.
4. Spoon mixture into a decorating bag fitted with a small open star tip or a round tip with a large opening. Pipe into 1-1/2-inch circles 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets, building up the edges. If the tip gets clogged, use a toothpick to unclog. Bake on separate racks in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Turn off oven and let cookies dry in oven with door closed for 1 hour. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool completely.
5. Just before serving, spoon about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of the raspberry preserves into the center of each cookie. Sift powdered sugar lightly over filled cookies. Makes about 40 cookies.