SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. In a small saucepan bring 1 cup water and rice to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes, or until rice is very tender. Pour into a fine mesh sieve and rinse with cold water. Drain well and let cool.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degree F. On a lightly floured surface, roll 1/2 of the pastry to a circle 12 inches in diameter. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate; trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate; set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine ricotta, 2/3 cup granulated sugar, lemon peel, vanilla, and cinnamon. Add eggs to ricotta mixture, mixing well. Fold rice and dried fruit into ricotta mixture. Pour ricotta filling into pastry-lined pie plate.
4. On lightly floured surface roll second half of pastry to a circle 12 inches in diameter. Cut into 1/2-inch wide strips. Dampen the edge of the pie with water and place strips over the filling in lattice-fashion, laying one strip in one direction and then overlapping in the other direction, repeating with strips until pie is covered. Press edge of strips into bottom pastry rim. Fold pastry under; seal and crimp edge. Brush pastry strips with milk. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil.
5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until filling is set, removing foil the last 15 minutes of baking. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and chill before serving. Makes 10 servings.
1. In a medium mixing bowl stir together all-purpose flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender cut in cold butter until pieces are pea-sized. Stir in finely shredded lemon peel. In a small bowl combine egg yolk and ice water. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture with a fork. Using your fingers, gently knead the dough just until a ball forms. Divide dough in half. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.