SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Remove papery outer layers from garlic bulb. Cut off about 1/4 inch from top of bulb, leaving the bulb intact but exposing the individual cloves. Place garlic in center of a 12-inch square of foil. Drizzle garlic with olive oil. Seal foil around garlic; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degree F. In an ovenproof Dutch oven brown half the meat in hot cooking oil. Remove meat with slotted spoon; brown the remaining meat. Drain off excess fat. Return all meat to pot. Stir in the beef broth, the 1/2 cup water, the Worcestershire sauce, and dried marjoram, if using.
3. Cover and bake along with wrapped garlic for 35 minutes. Remove garlic from oven and add onion wedges to meat in pot. Cover and cook about 55 minutes longer or until meat is just tender.
4. After meat has baked about 1 hour, prepare rice. Squeeze garlic from half of the roasted cloves into a medium saucepan; stir in the 2 cups water, the uncooked rice, and the salt. (Refrigerate remaining roasted garlic, covered, for another use; see note, below.) Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in chives (and bottled garlic, if using).
5. Remove meat from oven. In a small bowl or cup, stir the 1/4 cup cold water into cornstarch; add vinegar and mix until well combined. Add to beef along with fresh marjoram, if using. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Serve with garlic rice. Makes 4 main-dish servings.