SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Beat 1 cup butter in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and almond extract; beat until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Mix in green food coloring until dough color is uniform. Divide dough into thirds.
2. Shape one portion of dough into twelve 3/4-inch balls for barrel cactus cookies; place balls 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Divide another dough portion into 12 pieces. Shape each piece into an oval around the top half of a wooden crafts stick; place on another ungreased cookie sheet. Divide the remaining portion into twenty-four 1/2-inch balls; elongate slightly, making one end a little narrower. Press narrow ends of two elongated pieces into the sides of each oval to form a saguaro-shape cookie. Press pine nuts into all cookies.
3. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool 1 to 2 minutes on cookie sheets. Carefully transfer to wire racks to cool.
4. For the puffed rice treats, melt 3 tablespoons butter or margarine in a large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows; stir until melted. Remove from heat; stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and puffed rice cereal, tossing until well coated. Press some of the mixture into ice cream cones filling to 1/2 inch below top rim; cool. (Press remaining mixture into a shallow baking pan; let cool. Cut into bars.) Carefully insert the wooden stick of a saguaro cactus cookie slightly off-center in each one as directed above.
5. Tint frosting yellow-orange with food coloring. Using about 1 tablespoon of icing, frost top of each cone around saguaro cactus stick. Place one barrel cactus cookie atop icing on each cone. Cut each cherry into sections, leaving bottom intact; fan open to make a flower. Top each barrel cactus cookie with a cherry, using a dollop of frosting for glue. If desired, tie ribbon around stick at base of cactus. Makes 12.