SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. In a mixer bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the 2/3 cup vanilla sugar, the baking powder, and cardamom; beat until combined. Beat in the eggs. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour and the cranberries or cherries and pistachio nuts until combined. Divide dough in half. If necessary, cover and chill dough until easy to handle.
2. Shape each portion of dough into a 9-inch log. Place 4 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet, flattening slightly until 2 inches wide.
3. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool loaves on the cookie sheet for 1 hour.
4. Cut each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch slices using a serrated knife. Place slices, cut sides down, on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 8 minutes. Turn slices over; bake 8 to 10 minutes more or until dry and crisp. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
1. Fill a 1-quart jar with the sugar. Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise and insert both halves into the sugar. Secure lid and store in a cool, dry place for several weeks before using. Will keep indefinitely.