SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. In a covered small saucepan, cook potato in a small amount of boiling, lightly salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain, reserving cooking liquid. Mash potato with potato masher; measure 1/2 cup (discard any remaining potato). Measure 1 cup reserved cooking liquid (discard remaining liquid); cool to 120 degrees F to 130 degrees F (about 15 minutes).
2. Stir yeast into the 1/4 cup warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine potato water, mashed potato, the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, the 1/3 cup butter, egg, and salt. Stir in the yeast mixture.
4. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds. Add 2 cups of the flour; beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
5. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball.
6. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease the surface. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size (about 1-1/2 hours).
7. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
8. For 12 jumbo rolls, lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan or two 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans; set aside. (To make 24 smaller rolls, see tip, below.) Roll dough to a 14x8-inch rectangle. Spread the 1/2 cup softened butter over the dough.
9. Combine the 2/3 cup granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon; sprinkle over dough. Starting from a long side, roll up the rectangle into a spiral. Seal seam and slice into 12 equal pieces.
10. Place rolls in the prepared pan(s) with cut side down. Cover and let rolls rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 45 minutes).
11. Bake rolls in a 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly; remove from pan(s).
12. For orange icing, in a small bowl stir together 1 cup of the powdered sugar, orange peel, orange juice, and vanilla. Stir in additional orange juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the icing reaches drizzling consistency.
13. For almond icing, in a small bowl, stir together remaining 1 cup powdered sugar, milk, and almond extract. Stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until icing reaches drizzling consistency.
14. Drizzle rolls with orange icing, then with almond icing. Serve warm, if desired. Makes 12 jumbo rolls or 24 smaller rolls.
15. Nutrition facts are for one jumbo roll.