SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. In a mixing bowl combine the 2 cups flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Divide in half. Form each half into a ball.
2. On a lightly floured surface flatten one dough ball. Roll from center to edges into a 12-inch circle.
3. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry.
4. In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar and 3 tablespoons flour. Stir in berries and lemon peel. Gently toss berries until coated. Transfer berry mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate.
5. On lightly floured surface roll remaining dough into a 12-inch circle. For a lattice crust, trim bottom pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Cut rolled pastry into 1/2-inch strips and weave strips over filling. Fold bottom crust over strip ends; trimming strips as necessary. For a 2-crust pie, trim bottom pastry to edge of pie plate. Cut slits in top crust for escape of steam; place on filling and fold edge under bottom pastry. Flute edge as desired.
6. If desired, brush pastry top with a little milk and sprinkle with additional sugar.
7. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until top is golden. Cool on wire rack. Makes 8 servings.