SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. For crust, stir together flour, the 1/3 cup sugar, and 2 teaspoons shredded lemon peel in a medium mixing bowl. Cut in the 1/2 cup cold butter until mixture is crumbly. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 beaten egg yolk and the 2 tablespoons cold water. Gradually stir yolk mixture into flour mixture. Gently knead the dough just until a ball forms. If necessary, cover with plastic wrap; chill for 30 to 60 minutes or until easy to handle.Lemon Curd::
2. Meanwhile, prepare lemon curd. In a medium saucepan, stir together the 2/3 cup sugar and the cornstarch. Stir in 2 teaspoons shredded lemon peel, the lemon juice, the 1/4 cup water, and the 2 tablespoons butter. Cook and stir the mixture over medium heat, uncovered, until thickened and bubbly.
3. Slowly stir about half of the hot lemon mixture into the 3 beaten egg yolks. Return all of the egg mixture to the saucepan; stir to combine. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Cook and stir constantly for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a small bowl. Cover surface of lemon curd with plastic wrap; chill while pastry tassies bake.For Tassies::
4. For tassies, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Divide chilled dough into 36 pieces. Press one piece onto bottom and up sides of a 1-3/4-inch muffin cup; repeat with remaining pieces. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.
5. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove tassies from pans. Spoon a rounded teaspoon of lemon curd onto each tassie; cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour or up to 2 hours before serving. Makes 36 tassies.