SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. For filling, in a medium saucepan stir together sugar, honey, and 1/4 cup water. Bring to boiling, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to medium-low. Gently simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until a light caramel color, stirring occasionally. Stir in pistachios, fruit, and orange juice. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
2. For egg pastry, in a large mixing bowl combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture is the size of small peas. In a small bowl beat together egg and the 1/4 cup cold water. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Using a fork, toss until dry ingredients are moistened. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball.
3. Slightly flatten one ball of egg pastry into a rectangle. On a lightly floured surface roll dough into a 16x6-inch rectangle. Wrap around a rolling pin. Unroll onto a 13-1/2x4-inch oblong tart pan with a removable bottom. Ease pastry into pan, pressing it up the fluted sides. Trim pastry even with top edge of pan. Spoon filling evenly into crust.
4. For top pastry, roll out remaining pastry ball into a 10-inch square. Using a fluted pastry wheel, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Weave strips randomly across top of filling as desired. Press ends into rim of pan. Brush egg yolk over lattice top and sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 35 minutes or until top is golden. (If parts of crust brown more quickly, cover with foil.) Cool in pan on a wire rack. Remove sides from pan. Makes 8 to 12 servings.